Background

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Hello...
It is a rainy kind of weekend here in the west. We see the sun briefly, then the clouds and showers.
Perfect weather for what I have been up to lately...
I am getting ready this week for my adventure into another level of Spinning. I am loving this journey I am on with raw fibre. Washing fleece is dirty and tedious...but the end result is clean (for the most part), beautiful fibre ready for spinning into useable yarns. My yarns are not even close to where I want them to be...but I have to tell ya...the excitement of putting a skein together, good or bad...well, in my mind, there is nothing like it!! And my husband, bless his heart...doesn't have a clue what he is looking at when I show him those "beautiful" skeins...but he is so supportive and encouraging!

I have also been taking a couple of classes over at Artful Gathering. There are so many interesting classes to take...but I didn't have time for more than two in the first session. I may do one or two in the second session mid-July..we'll see.
It is time for lots of pics...enjoy!

WASHING FLEECE
DRYING FLEECE IN THE SUN
PRE-DRAFTING THE WOOL
The wool being washed is a Dorset Cross. And later, the shoulders in the forground and legs in the back...notice the difference in the texture from one part of the animal to the next...they are very different. The colorful wool above is one that I purchased. It is a blend of wool, alpaca and silk. It is so soft...but I wanted to pre-draft it before spinning. That means that I stretch the fibres to open them up making it easier to spin.
WAITING TO BE PLIED
PLIED YARN...NOT PERFECT YET!
HANDSPUN YARNS...GREAT FOR WEAVING...NOT TOO GREAT FOR KNITTING
MATT'S SNOWMAN FROM THE CLASS
DAVID EVERETT'S CLASS AT ARTFUL GATHERING
I was messing with photoshop and textures. I know, I need to work at that more. Anyhoo...these are the pumpkin (a little tipsy) and snowman I made at David Everett's class over at Artful Gathering. David's characters are so much fun...he is the artist behind "Chicken Lips" Go check out his blog...you might even see Matt's work over there in the coming days.
ALL OF THE FABRIC CUT AND READY TO SEW FOR THE JELLY ROLL QUILT
A FLOWER IN MY GARDEN...LOVE THE COLORS!




Wishing you all a happy week!
Thank-you for visiting
Photobucket

1 comment:

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Nancy,

How gorgeous your wool is that you have spun and must be fun seeing it all on the spools.
Also how neat to see the photo of Matthew with the snowman.
Many thanks for visiting me and the kind birthday wishes for my husband.
Wishing you a happy Sunday and great week ahead

Hugs
Carolyn

Blog Archive

Ethereal theme. Powered by Blogger.